I am working with the Anglican Church of Canada to produce a web app capable of intaking all of the data involved with running weekly church life. The Anglican Church of Canada's National Office wanted to be able to better understand the shape of church life throughout the country, and to help its many dioceses, parishes, and churches to communicate their information more consistently and conveniently. ParishOS will feature a variety of modules:
- Vestry Book: Keep track of weekly church life (service types, liturgies, attendance, giving, officiants, preachers, etc.)
- Parochial Returns: Form-builder to allow diocesan staff to gather the exact information they need from their parishes -- diocesan staff create the forms, and parish and church users fill them out online.
- Directory: Dioceses, regions, parishes, churches, ministry groups, and more.
- Users: Maintain user accounts and control permission levels.
- Activity: Up-to-the-minute feed displaying which records have been created, deleted, or updated, and by whom.
- Milestones: Keep a record of baptisms, confirmations, weddings, funerals, etc.
- Settings: Diocesan users control what kind of hierarchy to use in ParishOS for their diocese (e.g., diocese > parish > church; diocese > church; diocese > region > parish > church, etc.)
- Directory: Maintain and add new “people”, churches, parishes, regions, dioceses, ministry groups for use across ParishOS’s modules
- Clergy Registry: Historical records of the people who have held positions in the history of your churches
- Safety: Keep track of policy documents and background checks for your staff and volunteers
- Ministry Scheduler: Build service ‘shapes’ and assign ministry roles (e.g., readers, communion assistants, greeters, Sunday school teachers, etc.), and have the option to send ministry assignments automatically by email.
The project is rolling out in 3 phases: Alpha (which is going on right now), Beta (September to December 2017), and Gamma (all of 2018). The user base will increase with each developmental phase to eventually include all 1,600 parishes across Canada with approximately 10,000 weekly users.
It's been insanely fun thus far, and we look forward to watching it take root!
Interested in using ParishOS for your denomination? Get in touch!